At Periodontal Consultants of Cherry Hill, we offer a wide range of periodontal services, including dental implants. Dental implants are a popular and effective way to replace missing teeth and restore your smile. Our Cherry Hill, NJ team has extensive experience in providing dental implant treatments that are tailored to meet the unique needs of each patient. Read below to learn more!
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots made of titanium that are placed into the jawbone to support a dental prosthesis, such as a crown, bridge, or denture. The implant itself is a small, screw-like device that is surgically embedded into the jawbone. Over time, the implant fuses with the bone, creating a stable and long-lasting foundation for a dental restoration.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
There are many reasons why you might choose dental implants over other tooth replacement options. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Durability: Dental implants are designed to last for a lifetime, making them a durable and cost-effective solution.
- Natural look/feel: Dental implants are custom-made to match the shape, size, and color of your existing teeth, providing a natural look and feel.
- Improved functionality: Dental implants function just like natural teeth, allowing you to eat, speak, and smile with confidence.
- Bone preservation: Dental implants can help preserve the jawbone, which can deteriorate over time if a tooth is missing.
The Implant Process
The dental implant process typically involves several stages from beginning to end. At Periodontal Consultants of Cherry Hill, we follow the below steps:
- Consultation and planning: During your initial consultation, our periodontists will evaluate your oral health and determine if dental implants are right for you. We will also develop a customized treatment plan that outlines the implant placement procedure.
- Implant placement: The implant is surgically placed into the jawbone, and a temporary restoration or healing abutment will be placed while the implant fuses with the bone.
- Healing period: It takes several months for the implant to fully fuse with the bone, during which time the patient will need to follow a careful oral hygiene regimen.
- Restoration placement: Once the implant has fully fused with the bone, a permanent restoration, such as a crown, bridge, or denture, will be attached to the implant.
Single implants are used to replace a single missing tooth. They consist of an implant, an abutment, and a dental crown. The implant is placed into the jawbone, and the abutment and crown are attached to the implant. While missing a single tooth may not seem to be an issue, it can cause long-term problems such as shifting of the teeth, an uneven bite, and difficulty in speaking or chewing.
Implant-supported bridges are used to replace multiple missing teeth in a series. The bridge is attached to two implants—one on either side of the smile gap. This will provide a stable and durable foundation for the restoration.
Implant-supported bridges are often recommended over traditional bridges as they allow patients to dependably restore teeth without sacrificing the health of neighboring teeth for anchorage.
Implant-supported dentures are a type of denture that is held in place by dental implants. Unlike traditional dentures, which rely on suction or adhesive to stay in place, implant-supported dentures are able to snap into position by adhering to between four and six dental implants.
These restorations are designed to restore an entire arch of missing teeth and are much more stable than traditional dentures, which can shift or slip out of place while eating or speaking. This increased stability also allows for a greater range of food options, as patients can comfortably eat foods that may be difficult to chew with traditional dentures.
Teeth-In-A-Day is a revolutionary dental implant process that allows patients to receive a full set of teeth in just one day. This procedure involves placing four to six implants in the jawbone and attaching a temporary full arch restoration to the implants on the same day. The implants are strategically placed to provide the best support for the prosthetic teeth, and in some cases, angled implants may be used to avoid the need for additional procedures like bone grafting. Patients can leave our office with a fully restored smile on the same day as the procedure, then return six months later to receive their beautiful permanent restoration.
At Periodontal Consultants of Cherry Hill, we are committed to providing our patients with the highest quality dental implant services. If you are considering dental implants, contact our office today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced periodontists. We look forward to helping you achieve a stunning, fully functional smile!